> Recipes for this week’s CSA share!
Recipes for this week’s CSA share!
Happy August everyone! Here are some recipes to go along with this week’s CSA!
Nectarine and Basil Salad
A refreshing summer salad that combines the freshness of basil with the sweetness of nectarine.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- a generous pinch of sea salt
- and black pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- 1–2 nectarines, cubed
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts; and
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
Drizzle with dressing to taste and toss. Serves 4.
Dilly Beans w/ Garlic
Who doesn’t love dilly beans?? Eat right out of the jar or in a bloody mary!
2lbs. trimmed green beans
1/4 cup of salt
4 heads of dill
4 cloves of garlic
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (added a little extra)
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
Pack beans, lengthwise, into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. To each pint, add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 clove garlic, and one head of dill. Combine remaining ingredients and bring to boiling. Pour hot mixture over beans, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process pints and quarts 10 minutes in boiling bath. (Double recipe-makes 7 pints. I used 3-4 cloves of garlic per quart.)
Jalapeno Corn Bread
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Stir in jalapenos. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares or wedges. Serve warm.
- When cutting or seeding hot peppers, use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your face.
I don’t know if it was the heat this week or my looming week long vacation but this week’s CSA inspired me to also include some refreshing summer cocktails into this week’s blog post. These are some of my favorites…enjoy!
A new summery twist on the mint mojito! If you drink it out of a mason jar it will taste that much better :)
- Place Limon, 5 basil leaves, lime juice, lemon juice and sugar in glass and muddle.
- Add crushed ice and add soda to your taste.
- Garnish with basil leaf.
2 oz. Vodka (Grey Goose)
1/4 oz. Lemon Juice
2 slices Cucumber
3 pieces Mint
1/2 oz. Sugar Syrup
Muddle mint and a cucumber slice in a cocktail shaker. Add other ingredients and ice. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass, and garnish with a slice of cucumber and a fresh mint sprig.